Thursday, October 26, 2006

This is the first post

Let's set the stage here of what is going on. I'm an average runner, but I'm pretty serious about it and enjoy it quite a bit. I run competitively for a club (www.gbtc.org) and am still improving many years after college.

Last Tuesday something out of the ordinary happened. While running (or more accurate, leaping over a puddle while running), I landed awkwardly and tore my right lateral meniscus. Luckily, I didn't cream any of my ligaments, but the damage was done. I need an arthroscopic procedure to fix it (more on that tomorrow), and I am currently waiting for a time slot. Right now, I'm scheduled for two weeks from now, on November 9th, for a partial menisectomy. This means the doc will just clean up my tear and remove enough busted cartilage to give me full function. It takes all of an hour, shorter than most boring lunchtime sales pitches.

However, I cannot run. More accurately, before the procedure I can't really do much of anything. This is the point of this blog, as a healthy place to vent. Perhaps after it is all over, when I'm back to the track full tilt or swooshing down the ski slopes, I will continue this blog as a simple running blog. At the moment though, we're going to focus on my torn meniscus and the mental aspect of not being able to do the thing you love the most. Right now, its pretty crummy. To be continued en viernes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home