Thursday, November 02, 2006

It's the end of the world as we know it, and I feel fine

Well readers, if there are any out there, there has been a dramatic shift in treatment, surgery date, and surgeon. Yesterday, the New York opinion, Dr. Scott Rodeo , questioned the rush to meniscectomy by my original surgeon, Dr. Thomas Gill. I have a radial tear in my lateral meniscus, which starts in the avascular portion and MAY enter the vascular portion. The vascular portion is the part with blood flow, the part that will regenerate with a little help. Research has shown beyond a reasonable doubt that you always want to repair knees and keep as much cartilage as possible. If the tear is all the way through, and I proceed with the meniscectomy, I'll be left with two independent pieces of cartilage. This will not be as structurally sound as one piece, and it won't be a big deal immediately afterward but within 5-10 years I may not be able to continue at a high level in track and field if my gait is quietly affected. This is not an option. Dr. Rodeo has experience in repairing this type of tear, even though it is difficult and not very common. Dr. Rodeo's opinion was corroborated by Dr. John Richmond, who agreed that repair of the vascular portion is critical. Both surgeons were confused that Dr. Gill did not want to go forward with repair of the vascular portion if the tear was all the way through. Personally, I'm not sure that we have enough firepower, considering the three of them only work for the Red Sox, Patriots, Celtics, Giants, and the US Swim Team.

Dr. Rodeo has an opening November 22nd, and after a quick conversation with Dr. Gill (who may be guessing that the vascular piece is not torn) I'll be going that route. This means I'll have my procedure at the Hospital for Special Surgery in Manhattan. This also means I wait 10 more mentally excruciating days. However, with Dr. Rodeo at the helm, this means A) if the vascular portion is not torn, I've only wasted 10 days and B) if it is torn, I'll have a surgeon who I have confidence in to repair it. The recovery for repair is much longer, but it worth it if my athletic career is at stake. Dr. Richmond cited a study that only 50% of patients who have complete radial tears can fully function athletically at 10 years with their lateral meniscus in two pieces.

I'm praying for a cancellation so I can do it sooner. This is brutal.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home