Sunday, December 03, 2006

Upping the Tempo

I saw Anne on Thursday and she said that I could go for 20 minutes on the elliptical and 20 minutes on the bicycle, which was perhaps a little more than The Doc had said (30 minutes per instrument) - but naturally since I want to do as much as possible I took her advice. I went to the Northeastern Gym (which by the way is FANTASTIC) and utilized the arc trainers there. I'm not sure if I like the arc trainer better, but its definitely safer for my knee. Anne also recommended a few conventional lifts, which is cool because they are very familiar to me (e.g. leg press). I must say though that with these exercises there is a very fine line between improvement/ strengthening and causing swelling.

On Saturday I attended the first indoor track of our season. Our cross-country runners, in shape from the XC season, all ran very well in the 5000m. Although it was nice to spectate, I would much prefer to compete. I miss competition. One of friends, Jeff Rockwood, commented that you always get hurt when you're in the best shape. Jeff was in great shape last year when he had a season-ender when he destroyed his ankle on the long jump pit.

Doctor Gill was again prominently displayed during the NFL game when Mark Vrabel got his "bell rung," code word for a concussion.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home