Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Thanks Tom

"The coach is mostly around to say 'Man, you're lookin' good today.'"
--Jack Daniels (a very famous coach)

Today I did my 32 minutes at the Reggie Lewis center in the company of my teammates. This being the beginning of January, we were joined by the distance squad that comes in from January to March. Our distance coach, goofball Tom Derderian, is known for being occasionally a little blunt. He also had (or still has) one true talent, which was being able to run obscene mileage (130-150 miles per week) without getting injured, which enabled him to run a 2:19 marathon in 1975. His coaching . . . . well, success with Tom comes with being a skeptic. This of course belies what I really enjoy about him, an unrelenting enthusiasm for running.

Anyway, after my jog, Tom was standing there watching his group run (he is having some plantar fascia issues, I think) and said something along the lines of how much I'm hobbling. I knew that my form had went down the toilet toward the end and I was limping, but I didn't think it was too bad. Anne had examined my gait last week and thought it was fairly close to normal (of course, that wasn't after multiple miles).

Me: I didn't look too good huh ?
Tom: You look awful. If you're thinking about doing a workout, don't.

Fantastic. Go Team.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home