Monday, January 29, 2007

Runner Code of Ethics

Yesterday I was faced with an ethical question. I have to do all of my running of soft surfaces as required by Anne and my dad (my dad said - "no running on anything but a track surface for 4 months"). This means longer runs are starting to get boring. Now, last Wednesday it was nice because it was snowing, and running in the snow, as long as there isn't a lot of snow on the ground, is pretty cool. Sunday, however, it was warm (30+), and I found myself at my bedroom with an important decision; do I bring music or not. The party line has always been no music. If you're running for real, and not just for fitness, you don't need music. I never use music on my runs, except during Red Sox games. However, faced with a dull 42 minute run at the Tufts track, I broke out the music player. I must say, even thought there were commercials half the time, I can see its allure. A good song can really get you going. At the same time, it distracts you from your thoughts, and I've always found that there are at least a few good moments of clarity on any run. This clarity gets shoved aside by the tunes.

Strangely enough though, the best song of the day, the one that induced the most endorphins, was "Cecilia" by Simon & Garfunkel. This is not a song I usually listen to, although it is quite good. By the time the singers were into the whoa oh oh ohhh oh oh section I was running 6:00 pace.

I think the music is acceptable while I'm still stuck to the track. Once we hit the roads again, the radio goes back in the drawer, except for the beloved Red Sox of course.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home